Monday, May 3, 2010

Day 2, Waimea Canyon Hike


Katie and I started our first day heading toward the western part of the island. We wanted to see Waimea Canyon and the sites along the way. Our first stop was Salt Pond Beach Park where they still evaporate sea water to make salt. Sadly this only happens in the summer time, but we were still able to enjoy a GORGEOUS family beach at the start of our morning adventure.


After a few stops at some more beaches, we headed inland toward Waimea Canyon. Lots of lookout stops along the way made for really cool pictures and amazing scenery!

We had a plan to do a canyon/waterfall hike for our day. The trailhead (and the entire island for that matter) was crowded with hens, chicks and roosters, and they could be really aggressive trying to get food. I got a bit freaked out here as they decided to start following me around really closely while I ate my snack. YIKES.

Some of the breathtaking views along our hike.






We both enjoyed a nice swim at the end of our hike. This one was at the first part of the waterfall and only one other couple was there. It was cold and a bit muddy, but SO refreshing and so frickin' cool! We were in Kauai swimming in a waterfall! YAY!!









I freaked Katie out a little bit by teetering on the edge of the waterfall to check out the wild foods. Our guidebook told us wild ginger grew everywhere at the top of the falls, so we assumed that was it and I wanted to taste it. But it ended up not really smelling or looking like ginger...it was purple and stinky, so we assumed perhaps it was actually taro root.

All in all, this was my favorite day on the island. Lots of cool geology, amazing scenery and an incredible swim in a waterfall.


No comments:

Post a Comment